Sunday, March 3, 2013

Mainsail reefing

Hi Again.   A great credo is reef early reef a lot.  A prudent sailor should always be familiar with a boats reefing system before the need to reef.  If you wonder if you need to reef it's usually too late.   A sailor I know brags he likes to heel until he's railwashing and never reefs.  Sure man...go ahead...I'm sure you can take anything Neptune throws at you...not.  So unless you want to be thought of as a fool by intelligent experienced sailors learn to live by the credo at the top.   Note...a boat slows as your heeling becomes greater than 20-25 degrees.  It's fun to wash the rails (or windows lol) but stress increases on fittings and you lose speed and control (and I have actually blown out a mainsail...yeah...in my indiscriminate youth-2009-lol).   If you need to keep the tiller pulled to your chest in order to remain straight you have WAAAY to much sail up...

Anyway, here's a PDF to check out.  I really like the system here, the diagram between section 8 and 9 is very clear and instructive.  Pull one line and be reefed.

http://www.bartonmarine.com/pdf/fitinst-single-line-mainsail-reefing-system.pdf

I'm hoping next weekend the weather holds for a work weekend.  Compounding and waxing the Cal (and O'Day?), small amount of sanding and oiling.  The Cal needs a shore power receptacle and fixed battery charger.  One Cleat needs replaced.  The carb is off to be cleaned.  The fuel tank needs drained of the old fuel.  Maybe a coat of varnish in the cabin (I think the woodwork was redone with stain only).   So if you are a member I hope to see you, if not a member and you'd like to check out the boat(s) come on.  You work you sail.  Lots of dates open still for the season so get aboard.  Is there anywhere you can have more fun for $70/ day (which is what your share works out to be including your boatus membership)?

So....are you ready for the season?  

3 comments:

  1. Phil and are in if the weather holds out. Cabin fever has set in. Please let me know if you need me to bring anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets hope it is decent...I'd like to at least get the hull and deck buffed out....probably be too cold to do bottom paint (need 60 degrees I'm pretty sure)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc and Mark,
    I plan to be there to help on Saturday (only). I'm coming up that way tomorrow to visit friends in Cape Charles, VA, and I'll be going back to their place Sat. evening.
    I'm really looking forward to the sailing season! See you Saturday morning.
    Ned (from NC)

    ReplyDelete