Monday, May 27, 2013

Tartan Progress

Steve and Karen, my Tartan members, spend all weekend working.  Captain Lou admonished me that I'm driving them too hard...so I asked if I was being bad.  These are sailors baby!  They are a couple tough cookies.  We really made great progress these last 3 days.  All the exterior of the boat scrubbed. All the exterior teak re-oiled. Steering quadrant taken apart and the rudder dropped.  Then we cut open the side of the rudder (pictured below) and removed the skin to scrape out the soggy foam filler.  We'll epoxy the inside and refill it with foam.  Lastly we'll barrier coat the rudder to prevent it soaking up water again. This is a major repair that increases the value of the boat by quite a bit.

Next weekend we should be able to get the bottom done.  Close to getting Pilgrim in the water!  How exciting!  Summer is swinging...come join us and you'll be swinging too!

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget about pulling the scupper hoses! It was definitely a good idea to replace them!
    I do have bruises from the quadrant bolts, but I'll spare you the image!

    ReplyDelete